Sense and/or Sensibility

 Wednesday, September 1, 2010


If you have been reading my blog for awhile you already know that I'm a bookworm, if not, I'm saying it now: I AM A BOOKWORM :) , I've loved books even before I learnt how to read them. They make me feel alive and away at the same time and I could spend a whole life reading, I may sound like a book fanatic but maybe I am a little, all of us have deep dark little secrets :) . Anyways, lately I've been thinking even more often about really devoting my life to something related to the book industry. I'm already studying a master degree in publishing that I'll finish next March, but I don't know if I'll be brave enough to leave my current job after finishing the master... Oh well, I'm a journalist and I do have a good job, I can't complaint at all, it's interesting and it is safe, but it doesn't fully satisfy me and we have only one life, so here comes the question: Sense or Sensibility? Should I follow my brain or my heart? Can I follow both? Can we achieve whatever we want if we fight for it?

All these thoughts make me think about the links between two good books that I highly recommend written in two very different periods of time: Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen and Narcissus and Goldmund by Herman Hesse. Both of them deal in different ways with that polarization of us... Here you have some quotes to make you think and reflect about the matter. Please give me your opinion and advice on the matter!: Sense or Sensibility or both and how be able to be balanced?

* From Narcissus and Goldmund

"We are sun and moon, dear friend; we are sea and land. It is not our purpose to become each other; it is to recognize each other, to learn to see the other and honor him for what he is: each the other's opposite and complement."

"We fear death, we shudder at life's instability, we grieve to see the flowers wilt again and again, and the leaves fall, and in our hearts we know that we, too, are transitory and will soon disappear. When artists create pictures and thinkers search for laws and formulate thoughts, it is in order to salvage something from the great dance of death, to make something last longer than we do."

* From Sense and Sensibility

"She was sensible and clever, but eager in everything; her sorrows, her joys, could have no moderation."

"She tried to explain the real state of the case to her sister. 'I do not attempt to deny,' said she, 'that I think very highly of him--that I greatly esteem, that I like him.'
Marianne here burst with forth with indignation:
'Esteem him! Like him! Cold-hearted Elinor. Oh! worse than cold-hearted! Ashamed of being otherwise. Use those words again, and I will leave the room this moment.'
Elinor could not help laughing. 'Excuse me,' said she, 'and be assured that I meant no offence to you, by speaking, in so quiet a way, of my own feelings.'


Love,
Darling L

P.S. My mum's three cats and my mac are always willing to help me with my rumbled thoughts... :)

9 comments:

gee September 1, 2010 at 7:39 PM  

BOOKWORM for LIFE!!
i will def give you a review when i am done with my book!! :)
i need to check out Narcissus and Goldmund...

xoox

Molly September 1, 2010 at 8:21 PM  

No hay nada mejor que un buen libro. He leido tu post y he decidido que te escribiria mas tarde. Hoy habia tormenta y he estado releyendo a Virginia Wolf, te earl grey en mano. Tambien me he acordado de ti :)

Ay los gatinos <3

Victoria / Justice Pirate September 2, 2010 at 12:38 AM  

I really used to love reading classics. I should read these books. I'm too much of a biography freak that I don't read enough fiction or classic fiction. I never read these books. Do you have a goodreads.com list or anything so i can see what you've read or keep updated on what you read?

Victoria / Justice Pirate September 2, 2010 at 12:39 AM  

. . and then I see you have it on the side bar of your blog. blind me. sorry. haha. I'm going to add you as a friend now.

Arianne September 2, 2010 at 6:53 AM  

I love books too and I also had a bit of that sense/sensibility dichotomy this year. I wanted to go take a Master's in Economics but everything pushed me into law school, which is admittedly the career track that will give me the most stable financial opportunities (though I could argue against that using game theory but whatever).

I just tell myself that sense and sensibility are not mutually exclusive. Who says you can't have both? Why not finish your degree, then search around for a job in publishing and do freelance writing while you're waiting to be discovered? I'm sure you would be a success at it.

Sense & Sensibility is my least favourite Austen and I WANT to read Hesse but I don't know where to start. Do you recommend Narcissus and Goldmund for a beginner?

A from A + B in the Sea

the desert foxx September 2, 2010 at 7:56 AM  

Interesting post, enjoyed reading it. Never was much of a J Austen person but it's been growing on me lately

Helen September 2, 2010 at 11:25 AM  

follow your heart! when i finished my english lit degree i knew that i wanted to do something to still do with books and literature, i didn't just wanna get a job in an office. so now i'm a librarian in a public library and books are quite a big part of my life :) i wouldn't have it any other way though

Jasmine September 6, 2010 at 12:45 PM  

Don't be like me , stuck in a 9-6 desk job , i work for money and without passion , and i feel worn out

love what you , and do what you love

Post a Comment

I ♥ your opinion!

dress pretty

dress pretty

drink tea

drink tea

love

love

read books

read books

smile & relax

smile & relax

write letters

write letters

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP